• Completing the Original Great Ride - open since the year 2000
• This 5 day tour is recommended if you want to experience the trail at a leisurely pace.
• It is also the perfect option for those that are just getting back on a bike or if you are relatively new to cycling.
• The perfect family ride, even the wee ones can complete it.
• Choose from standard, superior or boutique accommodation options
• Cycle the trail over 5 days (around 2.5 -3 hours cycling a day for someone with average fitness) and Bike It Now! will take care of everything else!
Day One - Clyde to Omakau 37kms
via The River Track, Alexandra, Galloway (Check out the Ladies waiting room), Chatto Creek, Tigerhill a short side trip to Ophir awaits. Then visit NZ's oldest Post Office and most amazing bridge
Day Two - Omakau to Oturehua 29km
via Lauder Station, the longest bridge on the trail, Poolburn Gorge (with its tunnels and viaduct), Ida Valley, Hayes Engineering, Gilchrist Store (NZ's oldest)
Day Three - Oturehua to Ranfurly 25kms
Golden Progress Mine, Trail high point, the Wedderburn Red Shed, Wedderburn Goods Shed made famous by a Grahame Sydney painting, Wedderburn Station, Ranfurly Railway Station, Art Deco township
Day Four - Ranfurly to Hyde 32kms
Waipiata Man, Taieri Lake, Daisybank, Prices Creek Tunnel and Viaduct, Hyde township, Hyde Railway station
Day Five- Hyde to Middlemarch 27kms
Hyde Train disaster site, Rock and Pillar range, Ngapuna Station, Middlemarch Station
Finish in Middlemarch with onward transfer options available
Hire Bike Options:
There are three grades of accommodation, generally all accommodation includes a continental breakfast. The exact price will depend on the accommodation that is available and suitable for your group.
2. Superior Accommodation (ensuite/own bathroom)
3. Boutique/Lodge Accommodation
Accommodation is based on twin share and single supplements will apply for single travelers’ requesting their own room.
This 5 Day Otago Central Rail Trail Tour finishes in Middlemarch. You have the choice of continuing on to Dunedin by shuttle bus, including stops at Dunedin airport, or returning to Queenstown via Clyde by shuttle bus. Just let us know your preference and we will add it on to your tour.