When complete the Alps2Ocean trail will run from Mt Cook all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Currently only some sections of the trail are complete with the route from Omarama to Oamaru mostly on the main highway (very limited off road trail).
Our tour ensures that you enjoy the best of the completed sections of the trail, with some on road cycling. Where we are cycling on roads these are minor gravel roads and quiet canal roads. For our client’s safety and ensuring you have the best experience of this amazing slice of New Zealand, we have purposely avoided roads or routes that are frequented by logging trucks, milk tankers or highway traffic.
- Your Bike… For a comfortable ride we offer our new fleet of Avanti Montari (for men) and Forte (for ladies). Perfect for the more challenging riding on the Alps2Ocean route.
- Your Accommodation…A range of accommodation standards and configurations will be provided. This range is due to the restricted accommodation options in these areas. You will stay at the fun activity centre of the Mt Cook area Glentanner Park Centre, Mountain Chalets central in Twizel, the legendary Ohau Lodge and the Top 10 Holiday Park in Omarama, one of New Zealand’s premier holiday parks.
- The Food…Daily continental breakfast, 3 packed lunches and 1 dinner is included in the tour price. All other meals are on your own account. Our guide will help you with the lunch options in the areas that you require them. Our included dinner at Lake Ohau is a highlight.
- The Support…One of our guides will drive our support vehicle (modern Ford Transit Tour Van), lead you on off-trail excursions and prepare our trail-side morning and afternoon teas. Cyclists need to be able to cycle independently 15-20km (2-2.5 hours cycling), as this is the distance between check in locations when you can choose to take a break in the vehicle, grab a snack or refill your water bottle.
- Departs from Queenstown on demand with a minimum of 6 people, subject to availability.
What it will cost:
- NZ$1415.00 per person. The tour price is based on Twin/Double share accommodation for a minimum of 6 passengers. Price on application for larger groups.
DAY 1: QUEENSTOWN TO MT COOK
Meals: Afternoon Tea.
Overnight Mt Cook: Glentanner Park Center – Self contained tourist cabins
DAY 2: MT COOK TO TWIZEL
Cycling distance: 25 km
Meals: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Morning and Afternoon Tea
Overnight Twizel: Mountain Chalets – Studio room including continental breakfast
DAY 3: LAKE PUKAKI TO OHAU LODGE
Cycling distances: 39km
Meals: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Morning and Afternoon Tea, Dinner at Lodge
Overnight Lake Ohau: Lake Ohau Lodge – 1 x Huxley Wing rooms
DAY 4: LAKE OHAU LODGE TO OMARAMA
Cycling distances: 42km
Meals: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Morning snacks and Afternoon Tea
Overnight Omarama: Omarama Top 10 Holiday Park – Ensuite Units
DAY 5: OMARAMA TO QUEENSTOWN
Meals: Breakfast, Morning Tea